Every medical center like hospitals, medical office, private clinics and physician’s office require medical billing and coding professionals. Their main duty is to carry out the process of submission and follow up insurance claims. A medical biller acts as a mediator between the health care provider and insurance company and a medical coder coverts medical services into numerical codes which are used during billing.
There are several designations in medical billing such as medical billing specialist, medical billing manager, certified medical billing, medical billing supervisor, medical billing clerk, senior medical billing specialist and many more.
Similarly designations in medical coding are medical coding specialist, medical coding instructor, medical coding technician, certified medical coding supervisor, medical coding records manager etc.
Educational requirements for Medical billing professional:
- There is no fixed educational requirement criterion for medical billing profession.
- But a formal education is needed to handle this position.
- Educational requirements can vary from a home study program to bachelor’s degree.
- Most of them work from home as a medical biller and coder after completing some formal training from vocational colleges that offer training in this domain.
- Candidates who desire to become a medical biller must have detailed knowledge on all the medical terminologies and anatomy.
- Aspirants who are interested in medical billing can also complete medical billing training online.
Educational requirements for medical coder professional:
- To become a medical coder, an individual must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Must pass an accredited program in medical coding which is conducted by American Academy of Professional Coders.
- Certifications like Certified Professional Coder must be completed to work as medical coder in the U.S.
For both medical coding and billing a high school diploma is the minimum educational qualification required. To work in this most demanding medical profession a candidate must complete a certification which lasts from anywhere between six to eighteen months duration. In addition, candidates can also pursue medical coding and billing courses through the distance education mode.
Some of the colleges and universities in U.S that are accredited schools for medical coding and billing are trident technical college, shoreline community college, Montana state university, Kaplan continuing education and Dakota state university. Organization like American health information management association accredits certification programs in medical coding and billing.
Candidates who want a better Career Outlook Must Pursue Training Beyond Certification Programs That Is Accredited By The Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education. More than two hundred programs were accredited by this organization in U.S that offer various degree types such as two and four year bachelor’s and master’s degrees, respectively.
- Some of the certifications that can be obtained by a candidate are Medical Billing and Coding Certificate, Certified Billing and Coding Specialist, Certified Coding Associate, Certified Coding Specialist, Certified Professional Coder and Certified Medical Assistant.
- Any one certification that is mentioned is sufficient for the candidate to build his/her career as medical coder or medical biller.