You may think that medical coding and billing is just the knowledge of thousands of code entries, based on the symptoms, diagnosis, medication and treatment of ailment / disease, but it’s not as simple as that.
Although the major draw to this job for many people is because of less education required as compared with other careers, along with a flexible job schedule and fast-paced work environment.
Medical coding and billing – Flexible career opportunity
As soon you finish the medical billing and coding training you are ready for the job market. Though many medical agencies and private practices tend to look for new graduates yet most of highly paid medical billing and coding jobs ask for individuals with atleast six months to one year work experience along with a certification from any of the accredited professional billing and coding associations.
Prior applying for any medical coding and billing school, take a note of these important points.
- Always chose licensed and accredited – medical coding and billing school
- Find out the required skills for a medical billing/coding specialist
- Chose the proper certification while finding the job
- Search for the employment opportunities and employers in your region, which hire regularly and offer an attractive the pay package.
Always ensure that the job suits your professional skills and aptitude, prior to application. Learn and find out what is needed for you to get into medical coding and billing.
- Check and see if you can read, very carefully – every single line of the information provided.
- Are you able to memorize the valid points based on importance?
- Are you able to pay minute attention, in a detailed manner to the text?
- Ability to grasp and understand the body of the text quickly and completely.
- Excellent listening, writing and presentation skills.
One among the famous certification providers is American Academy of Professional Coders, which has got a wide reputation among medical coding and billing specialists. Most times, medical coders who have the credentials work in hospitals, physician centers and also out-patient health facilities.
Commonly authorized certifications shall be – CPC and CPC – H, CPC –P, issued under AAPC and these are regarded as a authenticated proof of certification in the area of medical coding
Certification on other aspects
AHIMA which is short American Health Information Management Association issues experience certificates along with the performance scores based on a national wide certification exams.
- Certified coding Associate (CCA)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Certified Coding Specialist – Physician (CCS-P)
- Certification from AHIMA (Hospital Setting)
Some of the noted online medical billing and coding – training programs
I. Name of the Institution – Berkeley College
- Accreditation status – Middle States Commission (Higher Education), Regional Accreditation
- Programs to be offered
- Health Services Administration
- Medical Insurance
- Billing And Coding – Associate (Online Mode)
II. University of Cincinnati (Online Mode)
- Accreditation Status – Regional Accreditation –HLC (Higher Learning Commission
(NCA) North Central Association of Schools and Colleges
- Offered programs – Bachelor’s (Health Information Management)
III.Name of the Institution – Kaplan University (Online Mode)
- Program designed for – GED or any high school diploma candidates
- Program duration – 12 months or less duration
IV. Allen School (online mode)
- Offered Programs – Specialist In Medical Billing Coding
- Program duration – 9months or less
V. Grantham University
Offered programs – Medical Coding And / or Billing Certification
Associate of Applied Sciences (Coding and Billing)
VI. Herzing University
- Program designed – For entry level in coding and billing
- Program duration – Online Diploma Program (12 – 18 months)
Online Associate program (16 – 24 months)
- Diploma – Medical Billing and/ or Insurance Coding
- Associate – Medical Billing and/ or Insurance Coding